Inquire at Marygrove College
Visit us at Marygrove College
Apply at Marygrove College
Procedure to Modify Status

To change status to a degree or certification program, requires that the student file a request in the Office of Graduate Admissions.

Student's Duty to Modify Status

Graduate degrees will not be awarded to students who have not been granted Master’s Degree Applicant Status. It is the responsibility of each degree-seeking candidate, admitted with probationary, provisional or special student status, to verify that formal (regular) admission to the graduate program is approved and recorded at the time of completion of all requirements for standard admission.

1 Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) prohibits private employers, state and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, education and training. A qualified individual is defined as one who, with reasonable accommodation, meets the essential eligibility requirements for participation in opportunities and services. In order to receive accommodations, and to be protected by ADA, individuals must supply written documentation by a licensed mental and/or physical health care professional stating the disability and accommodations that are required. Tutoring, support, and assistance to meet the needs of individual students will be provided by the Special Needs Coordinator within the Office of Student Support Services. To ensure that students are treated equitably and fairly, the college has appointed the Vice President of Student Affairs as the Marygrove College section 504 Officer. Complaints about unmet needs or information about rights and responsibilities are handled through the college’s 504 Officer by calling (313) 927-1402.

Master's Degree Applicant Status

When the student fulfills all of the entrance requirements of the Graduate Division and of the specific degree program for which application is being made the student will be given Master’s Degree Applicant Status.

Certification/Endorsement Status

When the student fulfills all of the entry requirements of the Graduate Division and of the specific teacher certification or endorsement program, the student will be given Certification/Endorsement Status.

Guest Student Status

Guest student status is given to those graduate students matriculating at other accredited educational institutions, but taking courses at Marygrove College for the purpose of transferring credit to the home institution. Guest status is valid for only one semester. If additional time is needed, a second application must be completed and submitted.

Probationary Student Status

Probationary student status may be granted to students who have completed an undergraduate degree program, but do not meet all of the requirements for regular admission, or whose qualifications for admission cannot be assessed through traditional means.

Applicants who have an overall undergraduate GPA of 2.7 with a 3.0 in all upper division undergraduate coursework may be granted probationary student status by the program coordinator. With the exception of MAT students, in order to receive probationary student status, the student must be interviewed by the coordinator of the program to which they are applying. Some students may be required to enroll in one or more undergraduate courses to strengthen their background for graduate study. (Undergraduate courses will not be accepted for graduate credit.) When special circumstances merit, the Dean of Graduate Studies may grant probationary student status to applicants with less than a 2.7 GPA upon the recommendation of the program coordinator.

Probationary status specifies that upon completion of six credit hours, if the student has attained a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) for the courses attempted, and has fulfilled all other requirements set by the program coordinator, the student will be given Master’s Degree Applicant Status. If, however, the student does not meet the above requirements, the student will be dismissed from the College.

Probationary status may be granted to MAT students pending:

  1. Two letters of recommendation: one from a work supervisor (i.e., principal) and one from the superintendent

  2. Completion of two Canter courses: EDU or 597 and EDU 667 with a GPA of 3.0.
Provisional Status

Provisional status is granted to applicants who appear to meet all of the regular admission requirements of the graduate division (including the minimum 3.0 GPA) and of the specific program for which they are applying, but who lack official transcripts or have some other problem in the admission procedure. Students who wish to be admitted on probation may not take classes under provisional status.

Provisional status is for one term only and a maximum of six credit hours may be taken in provisional status. Credit hours taken under provisional student status may be applied toward a graduate program only if the student meets the requirements of the program.

Under provisional status, the student is expected to adhere to the same academic standards and College requirements as any other graduate student. Provisional status is temporary. The student must have cleared any problems concerning admission by the end of the affected term. By registering with provisional status, the student agrees to abide by the final decision of the Dean of Graduate Studies regarding admission to Marygrove College.
Special Student Status
Special student status is for those who wish to take non-degree graduate level courses, perhaps for enrichment, personal development and/or professional development. Candidates submit a special student status application to the Office of Graduate Admissions. Admission as a special student does not guarantee subsequent admission to the graduate division.

Apply Now

Marygrove MAT program

Marygrove Human Resource Management Program

Admissions Events

No events

Grad Information